Hey there and welcome (back) ! 🙂
This past week was a pretty eventful one, these little ones needed a good amount of attention, which we were happy to provide hehe
As always, before we get into it, here’s a little overview of what we’re going to cover
Grow Report 2 – Table of content
- Laughing Buddha – Early stretch & first leaves
- Critical+ Cuttings – Transplanting and fungus gnats…
- Makin some cannabutteeeer 🙂
- Blue Thai Mother – First cutting
Don’t hesitate to skip ahead if you want, for the others let’s get into the Laughing Buddha, she’s scaring us a baby bit
Laughing Buddha – Early stretch & First leaves
Growth of the first leaves
If you’ve checked out last weeks grow report you’re aware that this little one had just broken ground and spread her cotyledons by the end of last week.
Within 2 days she started growing her first leaves which is pretty awesome 🙂 really want her to get growing quickly so we can make some cuttings and flower them asaaaap
Seedling stem stretching too much
As you can see in the image on the right the stem of this little one is pretty long, showing that she’s not receiving enough light, thus reaching for it.
This is really no optimal, appart from the fact that she’s focusing on vertical growth and not developing foliage (leaves) she will most likely be top heavy once those leaves do start to grow..
This is something we’ve experienced a couple grows ago, and covered a previous grow report.
It’s not the end of the world if she does get top heavy, we’ll give her a crouch until the stem gets strong enough to for her to stand.
Growth of the second stage of leaves
This little one is a fast grower, the first stage of leaves had hardly grown that she was already sprouting the second one.
She’s really looking good, still a bit worries about her balance, when we watered her she wasn’t holding up all that good.
We’ve also added [a much needed] fan in there to get some wind blowing, which will make her develop the stem much more, as well as help dry up the soil after watering, avoiding these damn fungus gnats (getting to that next)
Critical+ Cuttings – Transplanting and Fungus gnats
Transplanting the Critical+ plants
Although it was a bit early to do so, we decided to go ahead and transplant the plant that’s going to stay in the vegetation tent as a mother.
For the the 3 other ones we’re going to wait until they grow a bit more than transplant & flower them right away, can’t waiiiiiiiiiit 🙂
Dealing with fungus gnats
After thrips and spidermites here we are dealing with fungus gnats… haven’t signed up for pests control school, but we’re getting close to being experts here -_-“
We had been wondering why our little cuttings were growing so slowly and with unhealthy looking foliage; turns out, it’s linked to the fungus gnat larvae feeding on our babies roots..
We’ll do a full “how to” deal with fungus gnats soon, but basically here’s how we’re dealing with them :
- Sprayed the soil with a mix of Hydrogen peroxyde (1/4) and water (3/4).
This kills the larvae, but doesn’t deal with the eggs or adults
- Manually hunted the visible adults
- Set a fan out in order to dry the top soil (fungus gnats need humid soil)
- Put down sticky traps for the adults. This doesn’t seem super effective atm, we’re going to lay out a glass with a little beer for them to drown in (follow a tip through instagram)
Next we’re going to remove the top 3/4cm of soil in order to get any and all eggs out of there, and possibly buy some nematodes to get this soil living with healthy organisms.
Hopefully this is going to be the end of that..
Makin’ some cannabutteeer
We had been putting it off for awhile but finally got around to making some cannabutteeeer!
Been saving up the trims of the past 5 grows so really exited to see what it’s going to turn our to be hehehe.
We’re not going to detail all the steps here, if you’re trying to make some check out our recipe over here, that said here’s a couple pics just cause 😉
Blue Thai’s first cutting
Since we don’t want to flower our last blue thaï plant, we’ve decided to keep this one as a mother and flower some cuttings. Thing is… i’m not super super patient (workin on it ^^), and want to get her into the flowering tent asaaaaap.
In that spirit, I looked for a nice little side branch big enough to make a cutting out of.
As you can see, we spotted one that was small, but not too small, and went for it. Hopefully, since it’s such a young sprout, it’ll still have a bunch of rooting hormones and will take quickly.
In order to keep it in a nice, humid, environment we placed it in a glass of water and placed cellophane over it, with a couple whole.
Water droplets quickly formed on the sides of the glass, showing that humidity levels are high. Hopefully she’s going to take!
Alright folks that’s all for this week,
Until next time, be safe and grow easy!
P.S: if you want to keep in touch, come say hi on our insta 😉